Monday, January 30, 2012

Never too old to learn something new


I believe several things about learning:
  • Lifelong learning is very important;
  • We are never too old to learn new things; and
  • Learning new things can be both fun and frustrating at the same time. 
All of these beliefs have been front and center in my world for most of my life, but can be illustrated with my most recent teaching and learning experience.

Before Christmas, I became an ‘e-teacher’, a teacher of online courses for Municipal Government employees in Nunavut. Very cool for me to be learning how to be a teacher outside of a traditional classroom. My classroom now takes place virtually – through the internet, through connecting online, through emails, phone calls and a virtual classroom. I have learned, along with the fantastic participants taking these Municipal Government Program courses, how to help create an online learning community.

As a classroom teacher, I attempted to integrate technology in the classroom – now, my classroom is all about technology.


I didn’t know how to use Moodle, the software that we use to organize all of our course content, take quizzes, exams and submit assignments. I didn’t know how bandwidth issues in Nunavut would impact learning. I didn’t know if I’d be able to bring together adults from communities across the north to make learning fun, not frustrating.

Thankfully, my second belief is true… I’m not too old to learn this stuff!

As a collective group, we are learning what works and what doesn’t work. We are applauding each other with hand clapping icons, and sending happy face emoticons when we agree with our fellow keen adult learners across Nunavut.

Of course, there are some things that can be frustrating – having my voice drop in and out during a class because a participant has used up their download allocation from Qiniq and they won’t return to ‘normal’ speed until ‘next week’. Frustrating when the grade book in Moodle doesn’t work quite right.

But, it’s mostly great fun. Sharing in this online learning opportunity and observing how our personalities shine through in our virtual world. Connecting during our classes, reading the underlying humour in assignments that are submitted. It is extremely rewarding to be part of this innovative way to deliver learning to adults scattered across the vast expanse of land, that we know and love, that is Nunavut.

Although we are separated by thousands of kilometers, we are connected in a fun and unique way. I believe our learning network is going to continue to grow, and I’m so pleased to be part of this very cool method of connecting. Never too old to learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review our comments policy, posted here: http://ccg-ourtimes.blogspot.com/p/comments-policy.html

Comment Moderation has been enabled; your comment will be reviewed by the Editors before posting. Our kids, parents, spouses, friends and clients read this site. So please be nice.